Braised Fish Kadazan-Dusun Style
A traditional Kadazan-Dusun dish of braised fish.
Good to Know
How to pick out fresh fish? The gills should be bright red and the scales tightly attached to the body.
|500 g||mackerel or sardine, cleaned|
|2||buah bambangan (a type of wild mango), minced|
|1 tablespoon||cooking oil|
|3 cloves||garlic, minced|
|1||yellow onion, minced|
|1 teaspoon||turmeric powder|
|5||dried chilli, thinly sliced|
|50 g||tamarind pulp, remove seeds|
|3 piece||tamarind pieces|
|12 g||MAGGI® CukupRasa™|
- Firstly, gut and clean the fish before washing it under running water. Set it aside.
- Next, pour some oil in a wok and wait for it to heat up. Add in the garlic, onion, ginger, turmeric powder and dried chilli and sauté until fragrant.
- Then, mix the sautéed ingredients together with the tamarind pulp, tamarind pieces, MAGGI® CukupRasa™ and water along with the fish.
- Proceed to lay the fish along with the mixture in a pot with the banana and turmeric leaves and the buah bambangan.
- Cover the pot, place it on the stove and allow the fish to cook on low heat for 25 minutes.
- Pinasakan goes well with white rice and a spoonful of sambal.