Smashing Good Ayam Penyet
Boiled in spice marinade and water to tenderize the meat before deep-frying, the Ayam Penyet is best served with a dollop of a special sambal that’s delectably sweet and spicy
Good to Know
One palm size portion equals 3 oz., or one serving of meat or chicken. Keep an eye on portion size this festive season.
|250 g||chicken breast|
|250 g||chicken thigh|
|Blend with water:|
|1 inch||fresh turmeric|
|1 teaspoon||coriander seeds, pounded with mortar and pestle|
|2 stalks||lemongrass, smashed|
|2 inches||galangal, smashed|
|4 pieces||bay leaf (daun salam)|
|1 tablespoon||MAGGI® CukupRasa™|
|Oil||for deep frying|
|1 teaspoon||cooking oil|
|5||red chillies, cut into 4 pieces|
|4||bird’s eye chillies|
|3 cloves||garlic, smashed|
|1||tomato, medium, cut into wedges|
|2 teaspoons||belacan (shrimp paste), toasted or dry fried|
|1 teaspoon||MAGGI® CukupRasa™|
- In a pot, add 600 ml water, blended garlic, shallots, candlenut, ginger and fresh turmeric. Also add in the pounded coriander seeds, galangal, bay leaf (daun salam) and MAGGI® CukupRasa™ and stir briefly.
- Next, add the chicken pieces and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until tender. Remove chicken from the pot.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and deep fry the chicken pieces until cooked through and golden brown. Place fried chicken on a cooling rack and drain the oil. Otherwise, just use paper towels.
- You can deep fry the chicken immediately or leave it to marinate overnight in the refrigerator with 3-4 tablespoons of the broth and deep fry it the following day for better flavours.
- Now, let’s prepare the sambal. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and fry the shallots, garlic and chillies for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add in the tomato wedges and belacan and fry for another 3 minutes until the tomato wedges soften.
- Finally, season with MAGGI® CukupRasa™ and sugar. Scoop the sambal and pound it using a mortar and pestle or grind coarsely in a food processor.
- On a serving plate, spoon a bowl of steamed white rice, place a piece of chicken, fried tempeh, fried tofu, sliced cucumber and a generous scoop of sambal. You can also reheat the broth from the boiled chicken and serve it on the side as soup.
Energy 274 Kcal