Triple Treat Yam Platter
Enjoy a perfect family reunion this Chinese New Year with this scrumptious yam platter.
Good to Know
Tubers such as yam and sweet potatoes are packed with dietary fibre which support colonic function and gut health.
|1 small bunch||glass noodles (dry)|
|To prepare yam petals:|
|600 g||yam, small cubes|
|10 tablespoons||wheat starch|
|150 ml||boiling water|
|1 tablespoon||castor sugar|
|2 teaspoons||MAGGI® CukupRasa™|
|½ teaspoon||Five-spice powder|
|For the sauce:|
|9 tablespoons||MAGGI® Chilli sauce – Thai|
|2 tablespoons||MAGGI® Homemade Chicken Stock (or 1 MAGGI® Chicken Stock Cube)|
|1 tablespoon||dark soy sauce|
|500 g||chicken breast, medium chunks|
|100 g||pineapple cubes|
|½||red and green capsicum, diced into 1cm pieces|
|6 cloves||garlic, sliced|
|1||medium red onion, wedges|
- To make the yam petals, steam yam until tender (for approx. 20 mins), mash and let it cool. In a separate bowl, add boiling water to wheat starch and mix vigorously with a spoon to form a soft dough.
- Add the other ingredients set aside to make the yam petals and the mashed yam into the dough. Mix the ingredients and knead the dough. Wrap tightly in cling film and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil and deep fry glass noodles until it puffs up. Drain excess oil and arrange on a large round serving dish.
- Shape dough into flower petals and deep fry until crisp and golden brown for 3-5 minutes over medium high heat. Arrange petals to form a flower with a hole in the centre.
- Mix ingredients for the sauce and lastly, prepare the topping.
- Fry garlic and ginger until fragrant then, add onion and fry for a minute over high heat. Add chicken and fry until almost cooked. Stir in the sauce and let it simmer until chicken is cooked. Add in the capsicum and pineapple and fry for another minute.
- Scoop the topping onto the centre of the yam flower and serve while hot.