Yummy Yam Abacus Seeds
Abundance of Wealth served in Gold and Silver
Good to Know
Yam is rich in potassium, an important component that helps to balance out our body fluids.
|350 g||tapioca flour|
|150-200 ml||hot boiling water|
|2 tablespoons||cooking oil|
|100 g||minced chicken|
|5-6 pieces||shiitake mushrooms, soaked and thinly sliced|
|20 g||dried shredded squids soaked|
|20 g||black fungus soaked and sliced thinly|
|2 tablespoons||dried shrimps soaked|
|3 cloves||garlic minced|
|2-3 sprigs||chinese celery and spring onion chopped|
|2 tablespoons||light soy sauce|
|2 tablespoons||MAGGI® Oyster Sauce|
|1 teaspoon (or to taste)||MAGGI® CukupRasa™|
|1 teaspoon (or to taste)||dark soy sauce|
|2-3 tablespoons||deep fried shallots|
|1 piece||red chilli shredded|
- Firstly, steam the yam with salt for about 30 minutes or until it turns soft and mushy.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the piping hot yam using a potato masher and gradually add tapioca flour and hot water. Bring the mixture together with a wooden or rubber spatula.
- Next, using your hands, knead the dough until it becomes pliable, smooth, make sure it does not stick to your hands. Do this when the dough is still warm but cool enough to handle with your hands.
- If the dough is too dry, add hot water by the teaspoons. If the dough becomes too wet, add tapioca flour by the tablespoons.
- Once it’s ready, pinch some dough (about 5 grams) and roll it between your palms to form a small ball. Using your thumb or index finger, press the centre of the dough to create a cavity (you can do this with a chopstick if you prefer a smaller cavity).
- Next, using your hands, knead the dough until it becomes pliable, smooth; make sure it does not stick to your hands. Do this when the dough is still warm but cool enough to handle with your hands. If the dough is too dry, add hot water by the teaspoons
- Once they’re cooked, drain and drizzle more cooking oil on the abacus seeds to prevent them from sticking together.
- Then, sauté garlic, shallots and mushrooms with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a frying pan or wok. Add in the shredded squids and dried shrimps and stir fry for a minute or 2.
- Add in the minced chicken and fry until the chicken is about 70 – 80% cooked. Then, stir in the black fungus and mix well.
- Finally, add in the abacus seeds, stir fry for 2 – 3 minutes and season to taste with the seasoning. Sprinkle over the chopped Chinese celery and spring onion before tossing briefly.
- Dish out and garnish with deep fried shallots and shredded red chilies before serving.
Chef tips:You can prepare and shape the abacus seeds the day before. Just place it in a colander and cover with a plastic bag, then store it in the chiller until it’s ready to be cooked. Boil the abacus seeds before cooking with the rest of the ingredient
Energy 211 Kcal